British International School, Uppsala (BISU)
Fees and Financial Conditions
British International School, Uppsala (BISU) tuition fees are set in accordance with the fee structure set by STEAM Education, as approved by The Swedish Schools Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen), which is the official body that regulates schools in Sweden.
The school fees for the upcoming academic year are subject to change in accordance with Act 2015:801 concerning International Education, and applicable regulations.
The education at our school is carried out under the supervision of the Swedish School Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen) and is performed in accordance with the standards set out in the Swedish Education Act and other applicable Swedish regulations on International Schools. Please view our Admissions Policy.
Confidentiality and handling of personal data
By submitting the application and subsequently accepting to enroll with BISU, you agree that BISU handles your and your child’s personal data in their administration of the application and you accept the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which replaces the Swedish Personal Data Act (PuL) and the requirements for how companies can process your personal data is tightened.
Fee and Payment Structure
Our school fees are categorized by Key Stage (1-5) and Year Groups (1-13) and combine the Enrolment and Tuition Fee. To establish the Key Stage or corresponding Year Group, please refer to the Age Placement Guide for clarification on how the British School is structured in comparison to other international school systems.
The fees below reflect costs for the 2022-2023 school year only and are not binding for future school years. All fees must be paid prior to a student’s first day of school. Payment of the fees is a condition for a student’s presence at our school.
An application fee of 5,000 SEK is due at the time of application. This fee is:
- Refundable if the school does not offer the student a place. Unless the child’s registration is carried forward to the following academic year.
- Non-refundable if the school offers the student a place but the student chooses not to take it.
- Not deductible from the tuition fees if the student is offered and accepts a place.
The application may be cancelled and withdrawn pursuant to the Distance Selling Act at any time prior to 14 days after the application was made (“Change of Mind Period”). In such a case, BISU will refund the Application Fee provided that the notice has been given within the Change of Mind Period.
A single one-off payment of SEK 40,000 per student. This Fee is payable after the student has been offered a place and parents have accepted the offer. The Enrolment Fee is a non-refundable fee.
- Child 1 – 40 000 SEK
- Child 2 – 40 000 SEK
- Child 3 (and all subsequent children) – a discount of 25% will be given to families that will be reflected on the first Tuition Fee invoice.
3-Annual Tuition Fee
The below fee schedule is based on tuition fees as approved by The Swedish Schools Inspectorate (Skolinspektionen), which is the official body that regulates schools in Sweden.
Tuition Fees 2022-2023
The fees below reflect costs for the 2022-2023 school year only and are not binding for future school years. All fees must be paid prior to a student’s first day of school..
Key Stages 1 to 5
Key Stage 1: Years 1-2
Key Stage 2: Years 3-6
Key Stage 3: Years 7-9
Key Stage 4: Years 10-11
Key Stage 5: Years 12-13
- Please note that fees for children who are not registered with their local kommun (i.e who do not have a Swedish personal number) are substantially higher than those listed above.
BISU offers a sibling discount as follows:
- 3rd child: 25% tuition fee concession
- 4th child: 25% tuition fee concession
- 5th child onwards: 50% tuition fee concession
- Tuition fees are invoiced annually* and, for returning students, are due before the end of April (latest by 30th April).
- New students starting at BISU in August will be invoiced due to starting school. Generally, the invoice is sent out in May. (Latest by 30th May).
- For students joining during the course of the academic year, tuition fees are calculated in full-term units (1/2 of the annual fee) and invoiced accordingly.
- Students enrolling for the second term of the school year are only required to pay 50% of the Annual Tuition Fee.
Leaving Notification and Reimbursement
If a student is leaving BISU, a formal notification of leaving must be submitted to the school office three months before the child’s intended final day.
If the required notification is not submitted due time , fees for the following term will be retained. If your child attends only part of a term, the full-term fee will be charged.
Parents/guardians must ensure that all obligations are met in relation to their child so that BISU can forward the final records to the future school or university.
Parents should note that even if their employer does provide education benefits, the company may not be considered a “Company Pay” account for BISU. Parents should check with the Registration Office to inquire about their employer’s status.
Companies and organizations that have a current account with British International School are requested to provide parents of new students a letter stating that the company will be responsible for payment of tuition and fees. These companies are then required to pay the application fee, tuition for the current term within 10 days of the date the new student is accepted for enrollment.
Term and governing law
This Fee Payment, and the terms found herein, shall apply to the entire period during which the student is enrolled at BIS and for as long as any Fees are outstanding. This Policy shall be governed by the laws of Sweden.